Saturday, December 9th from 10:30 – 11:30 am
“Building Blocks” is a series of fun patterns that will build your knitting skills. Starting with simple knit and purl stitches, your confidence will grow as you progress through several major knitting principles. Each block focuses on new stitches and techniques in a sequential fashion that “builds” upon the previously learned skill.
If this is your 1st Building Blocks class, please come early or check in with us in the days ahead so that you can be ready to start. You ARE welcome to join the series in any month.
At the end of the series, the knitter is rewarded with an abundance of knitting know-how and beautiful squares to assemble into a sampler afghan, baby blanket, pillows or anything limited only by your imagination! You can make just one block and build a blanket around it or make a single pillow.
Time: One 1-hour class; on the 2nd Saturday of each month from 10:30 – 11:30 am. Enroll in these individually at $20.00 each.
Level 2 Angora: ready to add to your staple skills, have been practicing knitting and purling or chaining and ready to read a pattern
Skills you need:
- Long-tail cast-on (or come by before class for a quick lesson). Here’s a video tutorial from our friends at Wool and the Gang
- A sense of adventure!
Skills you will learn:
- A variety of new stitches!
- Worsted weight yarn, we recommend Spud & Chloe’s Sweater or Blue Sky Fibers Organic Cotton Worsted for washability, or Stonehedge Fibers Shepherd’s Wool for a classic afghan.
- US 8-10 needles
- Stitch markers
- Building Blocks, by Michelle Hunter
- You will get to the fun stuff quicker if you have cast on (using the long-tail cast on) and knitted your border as specified in the book.
Barbara Beliveau learned to knit at age 5 and has been happily exploring fiber arts ever since. She is currently addicted to lace knitting and spinning fiber for SAORI style weaving but always has time for intriguing projects.