The Colours of Nature | A New English Natural Dye BookRegular price $42.50
The Colours of Nature | A New English Natural Dye Book
Anne Støvlbæk Kjær & Louise Schelde Frederiksen
The book is a simple, easy-to-follow guide to getting started with natural dyeing, introducing and giving an overview of colors, plants, fibers and tools along with basic recipes for lasting colors. The primary focus of the book is dyeing on wool but it also briefly introduces other fibers and woven fabrics.Plant dyeing is thought to be difficult and to demand several years of experience to achieve a good result, but that is not necessarily so. Plant dyeing is an activity in which everyone can take part. It does not demand any particular skills and good results can come even with the first dye bath.The book is based on our personal experiences with natural dyeing and how to achieve a good result.Some knowledge of the basics will serve you well when you start out. Anne and Louise have put together a beginner’s guide on how to collect plants, how to interact with nature and how to recognize the plants that give the best, most beautiful colors.
- A short history of natural dyeing with plants in Nordic culture.
- A beginner’s guide on how to get started with natural dyeing and collecting plants in nature.
- An overview of colours and fibres suitable for natural dyeing.
- Recipes for dyeing with fresh and dried plant material.
- An overview of plant materials to collect in Nor- dic nature and which to buy such as madder root, cochineal and indigo.
- A guide to preparing yarn and fabric for dyeing that lasts.
- A guide to tools used in the various processes dyeing.
- 8 recipes covering mordanting, dyeing with fresh and dried plants as well as historic dyes such as indigo, madder root and cochineal.
160 pages, published in Denmark