Top Down SocksRegular price $40.00
The June 11th class is a follow up for the students in the May class only
Please review our covid policies below and other class policies before enrolling.
In this three part class you will learn how to knit socks like an expert! Barbara has knit dozens and dozens of socks and knows what makes a great sock pattern. In this class, you will learn the construction of a sock by making a shortie sock (in the next pair you can make the cuff longer for a traditional sock).
Time: THREE 2-hour classes
Level 3 Alpine: starting to climb, able to knit and purl, knit in the round and increase and decrease in knitting and finished a few projects
Skills you need:
- Confidently knit and purl in the round (aka have made a hat on circular needles)
- Decrease using both ssk (slip, slip, knit) and k2tog (knit two together)
- Slip stitches (purlwise)
- Work a long tail cast on
- Pick up and knit stitches
- Measure and get gauge
Skills you will learn:
- Components of standard sock construction
- Circular knitting with 5 double pointed needles
- How to construct a heel using short rows and decreases
- How to shape and finish a toe using decreases
- Fingering weight yarn – 400 yards or more
- circular or double pointed needles in various sizes to work the swatch for gauge (instructions for gauge will be sent when you enroll)
- you will use the double pointed needles for knitting the sock
- Pattern by Barbara Beliveau
- Optional but helpful: Opening row markers
- Swatch your yarn before the first class.
- Swatches for socks don’t need to be blocked because the gauge is so firm.
- There will be directions in the pattern that we will email once you enroll in the class.
Barbara Beliveau learned to knit at age 5 and has been happily exploring fiber arts ever since. She is currently addicted to lace knitting and spinning fiber for SAORI style weaving but always has time for intriguing projects.
IN-SHOP CLASS COVID POLICIES
We require that students be fully vaccinated by the start of class (2 weeks after J&J or 2 weeks after the second shot for Moderna and Pfizer). We are not requiring proof be presented but strongly request respect of and compliance with our policy. Masks may be required - we monitor our community covid case rate daily.